A Grown Up Now. In Theory.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2007

I suppose I better had make my first post of the New Year. The 2006 end of year celebrations entailed another family do, which, to be honest, given there is nowhere else I'd like to be at the end of the year, is quite a good thing. I can't stand having to think about getting home, getting taxis, paying a fortune for the privilege... we have a good laugh at our family do's, and that's enough to make me stay here.

I finally got to bed at 5:30am after the grand total of a bottle of Grolsch and an eggnog - which was a rather surprising drink. I didn't realise just how thick it is. Nice, but somewhat disturbing in texture. Otherwise, alcohol just doesn't interest me. My mum always says it's because I don't want to pay for it, which is a somewhat fair comment, but even when the alcohol is free, I don't drink more than a couple. I see others being sick and making complete idiots of themselves, and I just don't want to end up like that. I want to actually be able to remember the night, whereas most people seem to judge a good night out as being if you can't remember it.

Anyway, enough moaning. 2007 is now upon us, which I am mildly excited about. I have been saying for ages that I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel for my third year at Uni until I get into the year in which it ends. Now I have, and yes I can. May is now just four months away. Preparations will already be underway for finding my replacement. This is amazing considering I feel like I've only just got my feet under the table. But good too. It's a fantastic experience, but I really have to move on. I've tried it; it's not for me; it's time to put the focus back where it belongs.

2006 was, on balance, a Good Year. That means 2004, 2005 and 2006 have all been Good Years for me now, according to how I noted them at the time. That is a remarkable series. Of course there are plenty of downs within that, and 2004 had lots given the boring job I was doing before University, and then the pains of the Evil Housemate. But that all seems so long ago now. I have already moved on and life is continuing on its merry path. I became 21 in 2006, but to me it felt as irrelevant as turning 17, and as irrelevant as turning 22 will be... only that it's just another year of ageing. Urgh.

Otherwise, 2006 was a year of small achievements. I think I finally decided I want to be a teacher, and I did some work in a school to complement that. University went well in the first half the of the year, giving me results which put me on course for a 2:1. Then the second half of the year was spent in the extremely surreal environment of Westminster, seeing the political process at close hand. And the results are not pretty.

This year, this brand new, Happy New Year, a lot is going to fall very neatly into place. That is my prediction. I will make progress on my future. I will draw closer to graduation. I will move back to Hull for one final push. I may even end the year very happy indeed as a result of all the above.

The journey begins here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home