A Grown Up Now. In Theory.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Baked Board Games

In a rather disappointing twist, it seems that I'm going to have to make my own way to the train station tomorrow. Every time I go back from whence I came, I have had to get public transport. The reason being I'm normally going back to university (or, in the case of last year, to London) after everyone else at home has gone back to work. So there is no one around to give me a lift.

This time, by pure co-incidence, it seems I am going back to Hull when everyone is still on holiday back here. So I could have been given a lift to the station, saving me the nasty walks carrying a massively heavy bag of clothes.

Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen. My mum and dad with two of my siblings are off to their caravan in Wales today instead. So, instead of having to say goodbye to them tomorrow, when I'm leaving again, it will be today.

Sort of to celebrate the end, though not intentionally, last night we all played a board game. The kind of thing no one does any more. We seem to have tonnes of board games, and people still seem to ask for them for Christmas, but we never get round to playing them. We put that right last night by playing Game of Life, probably one of the better board games out there.

On the front of the box it says "Average playing time: 45 minutes". The six of us (and one of my brothers didn't even play) managed to play it for 3 and a half hours. Though we did get interrupted by the usual Monday diet of soaps on TV. We did try to keep playing, but it was, inevitably, at a slower pace. And we also had to stop to eat the chocolate and banana bread I had baked.

I'm getting pretty good at this baking malarkey. Actually, that's a lie. When you have a recipe and follow it it's hard to get wrong. Oh, apart from the bit where I added the egg to the butter I'd just melted. Since the butter was still warm (I was supposed to leave it to cool) the egg started cooking. Mmm. Had to sieve the cooked white bits out.

The day before that I'd baked a carrot cake. Now that was good. Was better than the banana bread in fact. I'm not quite sure why I've decided to do this kind of thing now. Yet I won't be doing it when I get back to Hull. I never get a chance to use the kitchen (it being in constant use between 4:30pm and 8:30pm) and, in any case, I'm not sure I want to share the fruits of my labour with them anyway.

But it's something else I've decided I like to do as a hobby. Something else to while away the hours in future. It does take time, but it has been worth it. Just like playing a board game, in fact (tedious link, yes). Though normally a board game ends in tears as someone sees a conspiracy in the random throw of the dice. It's normally my younger sister, and she always ends up blaming our Dad. It's so predictable it's funny. Though it didn't happen last night.

Maybe we're finally growing up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home