A Grown Up Now. In Theory.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nesh

The work on this house to make another bedroom in the loft has begun. The knocking and banging is constant, as is the drilling and the sawing. The dog, naturally, hates all the noise, and the workmen, and feels that it has to bark at everyone and everything going on.

So this isn't a pleasant place to be at the moment. The problem is, there is nowhere else I can be right now. The weather is appalling, rain, cold... so I'm stuck here. I haven't heard from one of my friends here at home for ages; I was hoping to meet him to catch up with things during this break, but to no avail.

In some respects I'm starting to look forward to my return to Hull next week. I'll be leaving all this noise for starters, and when I get back in June it will all be finished, which is nice.

But when oh when is the weather going to start improving? I think we're being punished for the unseasonable warmth we saw in the middle of February. I have decided that I'm just a naturally cold kinda person. Maybe I've got poor circulation too, which doesn't help. But I don't seem to be able to stand the cold very well. This is a problem, being from the Norf of Britain. We hardly see the nicest weather. So I'm starting to think that if/when I actually get out of here and start my own life (looking increasingly distant) I need to move to a warmer climate. One which stays relatively mild in winter and has genuine warmth in the summer. Not the fake summers that we tend to get in the UK.

Of course, it's not really that cold here. I'd know about it if I lived in Russia or Canada. Maybe I'm just weak. Perhaps I'm so thin and have so little hair (my preferred haircut is a number three shave) that it makes me feel colder all the time. We have a word for this kind of person in this part of the world. It features in the subject of this post. If you don't believe me, ask Wikipedia.

I just want a glimpse that things are going to improve. That would make me feel better. It would make me know that it's worth clinging on just a little longer as there will be nicer times just around the corner. But the forecast is not good. That's depressing. I'm sick of wearing these old jumpers. They're starting to look very shabby and they all need retiring. But I don't have the money to do so right now. Ack.

I hate talking about the weather - it's so boring and vapid. And yet I always seem to do it. I must be a good English person after all. We like this kind of thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home