A Grown Up Now. In Theory.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Snoozers

Declaration of interest: I am not a snoozer.

A snoozer is someone who, on hearing their alarm clock in the morning, presses the snooze button. Even once is too much as far as I'm concerned. I set my alarm clock for the exact time I want to get up. Why wake myself up earlier just so I can "snooze" for a bit longer? Why make myself late for the sake of lounging in bed for longer?

Unfortunately, however, my housemate who lives above me is a snoozer. If it was once, I could live with it. But I hear it at 8am every morning. Then again at 8:05, 8:10, 8:15, 8:20, 8:25...

Enough. Just get up already you lazy bastard.

The thing is, it's not as if I'm full of the joys of spring at the moment. But I can still manage to get out of bed when the alarm goes off. The key is not to think about it. Hear ear splitting noise, jump out of bed. It's become a reflex reaction to me. Bit of a problem when someone slams the front door coming back from a late night out though. Actually, I exaggerated that last bit.

But why am I not full of the joys of spring? Well, the weather is one for a start. Bad. Bleak. Cold. Yesterday I had the sheer misfortune to time both my journey into university and back again to co-incide perfectly with a torrential shower. I was not a happy bunny...

The thing is, I wouldn't have been going into university at that time if it wasn't for the fact that my lecturer/tutor has been taken ill, and has been replaced by another one, who couldn't stick to the original timetable. Worse, the original lecturer was great; the new one is harsh and lacks social skills. I know because I had him last semester, and his exam - a clearer example of trying to catch students out I have never seen - was the worst I have ever done in my university career. So bad was it that it effectively finished off any chance I had of working hard for a first.

And you know what - it's happening again. We were dropped hints yesterday that one of our exam questions would be on Gordon Brown. One small problem. One of the essays is on Gordon Brown. For years it has been a principle that you can't be marked twice on the same material. Great for the people who've done the essay on Brown. Not so good for the rest of us who now have one extra topic to revise in the great gamble that is "which ones should I go for, which can I risk not revising?" that is the nature of exam systems.

But at the very least, there is just six weeks to go. I. Can't. Wait. I've had it with university now. My other module has fast become a joke, meaning this semester is really dying out with a whimper. I have no idea how this final stretch is going to go. It's all a bit sad really.

Of course, what I could do is cruise (snooze?) to the end. If I have a good dissertation and essays (I think yes to both) I'm almost guaranteed a 2:1. You know what, I'll be delighted with that, and I can finally move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home